Running A Weekly Discussion Section
- Create, plan and deliver effective and creative discussion sections
- Feel more comfortable and confident leading a discussion section
- Identify, avoid and manage common challenges that arise during discussion sections
An Effective Discussion Section
- Get Organized Before Discussion - What you need to do before going into a classroom.
- Keep Students Involved - How to get your students engaged in what they're learning in the classroom.
- Make the Most of Your Time - Ever feel like you can't cover everything you want to, or that you can't do enough to fill the time?
- Check for Understanding - How can you tell if your students are "getting" what you're teaching?
Common Issues and Challenges
- Connect Discussion to Lecture Dealing with the "what does this have to do with lecture" questions.
- Midterm/Final Reviews How to help students prepare, and how to prepare yourself.
- How Do I Deal With...? Dealing with cell phones, texting, chronic lateness, and other challenges.
- Ideas, Ideas, Ideas Examples of classroom activities used by other TA's.
What's THEIR Motivation - and YOURS?